I have this episode stored on my PVR from when it first aired so I am still able to watch the original version that includes the now infamous Female or She-Male challenge that sparked a lot of controversy. Basically the contestants were show an image of a body part and you had to guess if the woman was a “biological woman” or a “psychological woman” aka drag queen. This portion of the episode has now been removed from all future broadcasts as well as the “You’ve got she-mail” opening in the beginning of each episode. If you want more information on the controversy Google is your best friend! :P
Anyway the winners of this challenge were Adore and BenDeLaCreme and they were team captains for the main challenge: starring in a drag themed musical. Adore chose Laganja, Milk, April, and Joslyn for her team, while BenDeLaCreme chose Courtney, Bianca, Darienne, and Gia, with Trinity automatically joining her team as she was the last one remaining.
The runway theme was Tony Awards Realness with the guest judges being Sheryl Lee Ralph and Lucian Piane who helped them with their vocals during rehearsal while his sister taught them the choreography.
Rankings for the Challenge
11. April (Bottom Two): I think April’s main mistake this challenge was taking a bigger part. If acting isn’t you thing pick a smaller character with less lines so you won’t stand out so much when you fail, because April was the most awkward to watch during the performance. I admire her determination to try to prove to the judges that she could do it all but in the end it just didn’t work out the way she had hoped.
10. Trinity (Bottom Two): Even though Trinity was quite annoyingly defensive during rehearsal she didn’t stand out as badly to me as April did. She was still not as good as the other queens but I think picking a smaller part worked to her benefit.
09. Laganja (Safe): Honestly with the exception of the top 3 queens this week the rest could be ordered in any way that you think. Darienne was placed in the bottom for being outshined by Gia but I honestly thought Laganja was the most forgettable during the musical. I don’t remember anything she did that was worth mentioning.
08. Milk (Safe): Milk was another queen with a large part but I wasn’t a huge fan of her performance. I’m not sure there’s something about the way that Milk acts that just kind of rubs me the wrong way. I felt that it was also kind of similar to the part she had in the challenge last week.
07. Darienne (Low): Unlike RuPaul I thought Darieen’s performance was quite funny. Sure she may not have stood out like Gia but she didn’t do a bad job really.
06. Gia (Safe): Gia was another queen who didn’t do great but didn’t really do badly either. She was surprisingly funny as a comedy queen, which I was not expecting, so kudos to her fur turning it out in the end.
05. Joslyn (Safe): Joslyn definitely oozes charisma because even though her part was meant to be more of a background character with her minimal lines she was still able to stand out among her teammates. She was quite funny as well.
04. Bianca (Safe): Bianca just seems to be great at everything. Sure she may not have stood as much as the top three but for being out of her element she still held her own and did a great job in the end.
03. Adore (High): It seem like that being in the bottom three two challenges in a row finally lit a fire under Adore’s ass because she was phenomenal as Bad Penny. I still recite her opening in my head a lot. Adore has a singing background so I knew she would do great in this challenge. I just happened to like a couple other queens’ performances more than hers.
02. BenDeLaCreme (High): DeLa surprised me as well. She played her character wonderfully and there is nothing about her performance I would change.
01. Courtney (Winner): Courtney was the obvious winner. She not only looked the part but she was in my opinion the best singer on the stage. Nothing else needs to be said.
April and Trinity were in the bottom two and had to lip-sync to Chaka Khan’s “I’m Every Woman” with April being the one to sashay away in the end. This lip-sync was intense both queens brought it, but Trinity, who is arguably the best lip-syncer the show has seen, was the clear winner. It was unfortunate to see April go because she had some stunning runway looks but she doesn’t seem to have the acting background to go all the way. Trinity also needs to step up her game, as this is the second episode in a row where her doubting herself doesn’t seem to be doing her any favors.
This is the episode where Adore starts to do well and I originally written Joslyn off but she’s also doing quite well in this competition. Laganja, Gia, and Milk have yet to grab by my attention really so from this episode you get the impression they won’t be going on much further. 9 more episodes for me to get through until I finish this season!